Companies are more and more investing in mobile applications because smartphones and tablets have become a fundamental element in our daily life. Those of us who use for instance apps to buy tickets agree that this is both, convenient and time preserving.
But, what should we consider during development and operation of reliable Apps?
Traditional development processes mainly focused on functional aspects. Non-functional elements were often completely ignored which resulted in unsatisfied users and miserable end to end response times. In worst cases, users did not use the slow performing and not reliable application.
Whether you are developing a mobile App from scratch or not, consider performance and usability first in your application lifecycle.
Here are tips you can use right away. You’ll make your mobile customers happy if you consider the steps below in your development chain.
- Simplify your mobile use cases
- Specify meaningful non-functional requirements (NFR)
- Consider performance best practices
- Setup performance tests to verify your NFR
- Check your App on different devices, connection speeds and WAN locations
- Setup real user experience monitoring and performance management on test and production stages
Therefore, don’t waste money and consider NFR testing from day-1 in your mobile App development pipeline.